Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Interview with Chronik


I present to you my first interview on Music Does Wonders! My curiosity always pushes me to interview artists I don't know much about that I find fascinating. I came across Chronik after hearing one of his ambient songs in a beautiful video and was eager to find more tracks. His music is organic and atmospheric, with calming instrumentals. I couldn't gather much information online about the Berlin based artist, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and get my own questions answered.

How and when did you start making music?
I started 7 years ago like an experiment… I don’t think I was good at the beginning… I just tried to see how programs and hardware worked. Im a listener mostly and I try to put out everything I feel is worth listening to now.

What instruments, tools, etc do you use to create music?
I work on Ableton and various plug in programs…synth and acoustic recordings. But music is not about programs so much as the ideas.

Where do you find creativity to produce new songs?
From the people I love and the life I dream to have…Love is important for me.

What has been your biggest challenge so far with music and being a musician?
I think I started to feel bored to admire musicians and I thought to start admire myself somehow…hehe… there is a truth behind this “joke”.

What is the music scene down in Berlin like?
Berlin is popular and the best place for independent musicians to present their work. In Berlin everyone can play live…its so easy…so free…and so beautiful. The musicians are very open minded..much more than here in Greece for example. What I love in Berlin is that I can go for to shop clothes or drink my cafĂ©..always with beautiful music in the air.
Berlin is not a paradise but can help many people to produce and create music.
Hmm… Maria club or Panorama stays always in my memory…

What influences has Berlin had on your style of music?
Many…From the people in the streets…the trees and the quietness I miss to have when im in Athens. Its very sexy city …But mostly the weather is one of the things that inspires me a lot!

What are some artists that you listened to when you were younger that may have or still influence your style?
I try not to get influence from musicians because im afraid that I wont have my own style to my music. Ir definitely helped a lot listening to musicians I love…like…Goldmund…Dictaphone…Arovane… etc..

Are then any local artists that have impacted your music?
Yes. Many… In general labels like C.C.O – Morr music.

I noticed multiple videos under your Vimeo account. Do you create these videos, or is it a collaboration with other cinematographers?
I love to collaborate with people whose work I admire- like Hemming. A few videos I have made by myself…but they are not so great I think…its just a reason for someone to listen my music.

What other cities or venues would you want to play in?
Europe if its possible… I don’t have something special in my mind about cities… I love any and all experiences…


What is your favorite track you have produced?
Difficult to answer, but “tape in my mind” is like my child.

Do you do have another job on the side besides making music? or any interesting hobbies?
I travel and I read books. Also I listen music every hour in my daily life… Another job at the moment no… I wanna work into music more now..

If you could collaborate with anyone- who would it be?
I collaborate with musicians and I am happy for that. But if u mean some famous artists… I would say many, but I prefer this to stay inside me as a dream and not reality… I have to work more and maybe after I can say..

Would you want to ever have your music used in film or television?
If so, what kind of shows or films?

I worked for 2 movies but in the future I will be part of David Stevenson Fisher’s Director of A&R Songs for Film & T.V. I am very happy about this.

What are you currently listening to? (maybe not right at this moment, but in general)?
Lot of music and many different styles…from electronic to classical and jazz music…For me music listenings are like studing music…

Any wisdom or advice for other musicians, or new musicians?
To let their heart free to fly.

Anything else you would like to share with us? Any new releases/new concert dates/etc?
My album will be released soon under the name of “Im a tree”… some dj sets and now I care mostly to finish my album together with Zinovia … Im happy to work with her and I am looking forward to collaborating more with her in the future.

after you came to me by chronik
fake girl with a.m. by chronik

1 comment:

  1. im still waking up.. this is perrrfect. this blog is dope. you are killa monsoon sista

    ReplyDelete